tlahtoani

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 17 11:50:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:01:40PM -0500, Michael McCafferty wrote:
> Joost, I don't know if I understand what you are referring to as a
> "phenomenon". I don't know, therefore, if I understand the question,
> and I'm not sure how this relates to "Dances with Wolves".

I'm sorry if my question was overly terse... I'll give it another try. :-) What
I'm interested in is the use of fully conjugated verbs (or ever phrases) that
are functionally equivalent to nouns. The word 'tlahtoani' as a verb means "s/he
habitually speaks", but it's often not used in this sense.

Many languages would require some formal device to turn a verb phrase into a the
equivalent of a noun, something like "he who habitually speaks" (i.e., a
relative clause), but Nahuatl apparently doesn't require this.

That's the phenomenon I'm interested in and was wondering, whether something has
been written about it.

Thanks,

Joost

--