tlahtoani

Jesse Lovegren lovegren at buffalo.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:14:49 UTC 2011

On the theoretical side, a good place to start (either by reading the
article itself or seeing the references therein) may be an article by
Stiebels in NLLT, "Noun-verb symmetries in Nahuatl nominalizations."
Natural Language & Linguistic
Theory<http://www.springerlink.com/content/0167-806x/>
Volume 17, Number 4 <http://www.springerlink.com/content/0167-806x/17/4/>,
783-834,

You can probably find a very large number of relevant works by searching for
"nominalization" or "deverbal nouns" and specifying for the languages or
language families you are interested in.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM, ANTHONY APPLEYARD <
a.appleyard at btinternet.com> wrote:

> In using verbs as names, there are Semitic parallels, for example the
> Arabic name Yazi_d = "he causes to increase", i.e. his birth made his
> father's family bigger.
>
> Citlalyani.
>

> --- On *Thu, 17/2/11, Michael McCafferty <mmccaffe at indiana.edu>* wrote:
>

> There are some cases in Algonquian where verbs stand for nouns. The
> Miami-Illinois term for 'watermelon' is actually a participle, not a noun. I
> don't think these cases are very common, however, and I can't think of a
> term for "leader, chief, etc." that is a verb.
>
> At the same time, Algonquian evinces innumerable nouns that at some  point
> in the distant past evolved from verbs. For example, the Miami-Illinois term
> /siipiiwi/ 'river' is structurally a verb, and was surely an inanimate
> third-person verb at some point in the distant past meaning "it is a river".
> In addition, the Miami-Illinois noun for 'turkey', /pileewa/, includes
> within it the morpheme for 'fly' and in fact the word probably did mean
> something like 'he flies' (or 'he flies!' back in the day, but no longer.
>
> I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything that pops up in Algonquian that might
> interest you.

Jesse Lovegren
Department of Linguistics
645 Baldy Hall