maxtlatl etymology

grigsby tom tom_grigsby at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 06:58:01 UTC 2011

My thanks again to Michael McCafferty, Magnus Hansen et. al. for their help in my pursuit of the tepemaxtla and its murky etymology.

I’d like to clarify a couple of points.  First, the tepemaxtla is quite definitely a cacomistle (Bassariscus sp.) in Tepoztlán as attested to by the drawings of the animal on the comparsa banners of the Santa Cruz barrio (who call themselves tepemaxtlame) as well as my conversations and observations with the local villagers over the past four decades.  According to the Nomenclatura Zoológica de las Américas, the animal goes by a lot of names.  Here’s the entry:

Bassariscus astutus = Bassaris astuta = babisuri, basarisco, basaride mexicano, basáride, cacomiscle, cacomistel, cacomixtle, cacomizcle, cacomiztli, cacomiztle, cuapiote, gato ardilla, gato de cola anillada, mico de noche, tepamaxtlaton, tepechichi, tepemaxtla, uayuc. (In English it is called the civet cat, miner’s cat, ring-tailed cat, and it is the state animal of Arizona).

The same volume unfortunately has no mention of the tepemaxtla under the Vulpini tribe – the foxes. That entry - “as a species of fox” - originally appears in Francisco Hernandez’s Plantas y animales de la Nueva España (1615), and was used later by Clavijero in his Reglas (1780), and by Remi Simeon (1885) who used Hernandez as his source.

The animal is easily confused with the fox.  The genus was first described by biologist Elliott Coues in 1887 who proposed the word "bassarisk" as the English term for animals in this genus.  The etymology of Bassariscus comes from the Greek bassár (a) fox + Neo-Latin -iscus diminutive suffix < Greek –iskos.

Please let me clear up a second point mentioned by Michael and attributed to me in his last posting; the Hoopa, Yurok and perhaps other northwest California/southern Oregon peoples use the cacomistle/ring-tailed cat/tepemaxtla pelt with its distinctive raccoon-like tail to make an ritual apron – not a breechclout – and it is used in their White Deer Dance/World Renewal Ceremony.

 Again, thanks to all of the participating listeros,

Tom

G.S. Rakovski St., No.79
Boboshevo, 2660 Bulgaria
GSM: 359 0899 784 081