revivalism?

mario E. Aguilar micc2 at cox.net
Mon Feb 28 18:46:43 UTC 2011

Definately,

There are "Mexicanistas" who have taken the Conchero dance tradition,
stripped it of its "European and Christian perversions" and recreated
what they believe is the way it was in Tenochtitlan on Oct. 11, 1492.

Needless to say, everything they base their revivalist movement on, is
based on the post conquest chronicles of the Spanish Conquistatodres
(politically cleansed of course of human sacrifice, etc....), church
writings (Sahagun, Molina, et al) and supposed ancient oral tradition
that has been "handed down scretly for 500 years buy our abuelos" ....

which just happened to "reappear" after the alleged discovery of
Ccuauatemoc's grave in Ixcateopan.

Today those of us who are traditional Danzantes (poejoratively called
"concheritos") still follow the synchretic traditional of the
Indo-Christian Mexican historical evolution.  But in Mexico, as well as
in the U.S. there is a strong  fundametalist movement amongst young
people to replace Evangelical Chirstianity with Evengelical "Mexika"
religion.

La "divina muerte" is an example where the Catholic tradition (a virgin
of sorts) is replaced and amplified with "coatlicue", Miccihuatl" and
Mictlantekwtli.

/--
I live for reasoned, enlightened spirituality:

"Tlacecelilli", tranquilidad, paz

Mario E. Aguilar, PhD
www.mexicayotl.net/