Fwd: tlahtoani

Stephanie Wood swood at uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 16 18:08:21 UTC 2011

Hello Joost,

If you might be interested in seeing what we have in the online Nahuatl Dictionary under "tlatoani" (also with vowel length and glottal stops marked, and other spellings), go here:  http://whp.uoregon.edu/dictionaries/nahuatl/index.lasso

What we offer, especially, are attestations of the term as used in colonial documents.

Best wishes,
Stephanie Wood

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers at fastmail.fm>
> Date: February 16, 2011 6:52:41 AM PST
> To: nahuatl at lists.famsi.org
> Subject: [Nahuat-l] tlahtoani
>
> Hi list,
>
> The word 'tlahtoani', although a conjugated verb form, usually has the function
> of a noun with the meaning 'ruler, king'. I was wondering if there is any
> literature on this phenomenon, either in Nahuatl or in other Native American
> languages (e.g., the film "Dances With Wolves" is full of them). Does anybody
> know of any articles etc. published about this? I'd be grateful for any and all
> hints and suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joost
>

> --