tlahtoani

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 17 15:30:05 UTC 2011

Joost:

There are some cases in Algonquian where verbs stand for nouns. The
Miami-Illinois term for 'watermelon' is actually a participle, not a
noun. I don't think these cases are very common, however, and I can't
think of a term for "leader, chief, etc." that is a verb.

At the same time, Algonquian evinces innumerable nouns that at some
point in the distant past evolved from verbs. For example, the
Miami-Illinois term
/siipiiwi/ 'river' is structurally a verb, and was surely an inanimate
third-person verb at some point in the distant past meaning "it is a
river". In addition, the Miami-Illinois noun for 'turkey', /pileewa/,
includes within it the morpheme for 'fly' and in fact the word probably
did mean something like 'he flies' (or 'he flies!' back in the day, but
no longer.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything that pops up in Algonquian that
might interest you.

Michael