the eagle, the cactus, the stone, sacred warfare - yes, but the snake...?

Ian Mursell Ian.Mursell at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 18 19:49:30 UTC 2011

Dear Listeros,

We have been intrigued by a question our teaching team recently received
concerning the presence or absence of the snake in the original foundation
account and emblem of Tenochtitlan, and we've tried to highlight the
evidence for and against, for a general audience, on our educational
website.  You can see the end result here -

http://www.mexicolore.co.uk/index.php?one=azt&two=wus&tab=aus&id=47

It strikes us that there's very little information on this subject 'out
there' for students to grapple with.  If we're wrong, please correct us.  In
any case, we would be grateful if any of you could take a few minutes to
read our modest attempt to 'state the case' on this fascinating question and
to add your contributions to the debate (forgive me if this has come up
before as a thread)...

Best wishes,

Ian

Ian Mursell

MirandaNet Fellow, Institute of Education, London University

Director, 'Mexicolore'
28 Warriner Gardens
London SW11 4EB, U.K.
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7622 9577
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7498 0173
www.aztecs.org
Ian.Mursell at btinternet.com
info at mexicolore.co.uk

1980-2011: 31 years of bringing Mexico and the Mexica/Aztecs to life in over
2,000 schools and museums throughout England. Team visits, online teaching
resources and services, live interactive videoconferencing sessions, and
much more - all from Mexicolore, the 'highly successful teaching team'
(British Museum Education Service)