- our messages, public??

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Wed Jun 15 13:57:25 UTC 2011

I am sorry, but the nature of a discussion list is that it is public.
Once a message has been sent to any recipient (on the list or off), that
person can then do with it as they wish.  In general you should never
assume any privacy in the use of e-mail.  It simply is not a secure
medium.

In the case of discussion lists, archives of the conversations are always
maintained, and have proven extremely helpful.  For the Nahuatl list, the
linguistics site has maintained a shadow archive for decades for the
benefit of scholars.

> I was playing with Internet and curiously enough I tried to see how many
sites mentioned my name, just to discover that all of my messages posted
to this list appeared in Google!!

> I must say I do not like the general public to see what I'm up to - I
thought the info we posted here was visible only to us listeros, and was
wondering what is Famsi's policy in this, I mean privacy and the like.

> Would very much appreciate any feedback.
>
> Susana

John F. Schwaller
President,
SUNY Potsdam