ihcequi doing it=?windows-1252?Q?=92s_?=applicative thing

SASAKI Mitsuya hawatari21centuries at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 02:59:31 UTC 2011

Jonathan,

I found your point on Sierra Norte de Puebla Nahuatl very stimulating.
We tend to assume that causatives and passives are opposite in nature,
but sometimes they parallel in that they imply that the denoted
resulting event is caused by someone other than the matrix subject.

The cross-varietal typology of detransitivization will be a hot topic,
and there should have been variety even within what's been called
"Classical Nahuatl". Of course, we can't ignore the Spanish influence
(e.g. Jorgé Suárez 1977) and the diachronic loss of polysynthesis.

Mitsuya SASAKI
The Department of Linguistics, the University of Tokyo
ll116003 at mail.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp