ihcequi doing it=?windows-1252?Q?=92s_?=applicative thing

Jonathan Amith jdanahuatl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 17:37:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

I couldn't find uitecqui in my version of Molina. Rémi Siméon has uitecqui
as "golpeado, fustigado, corregido, castigado" and has uitequi as a
transitive.

There are some transitives nominalized without object slots filled by a
nonreferential (te:-, tla-, ne-), though perhaps there are other analyses.

Thus ti:tlantli (cf. ti:tlani; though the passive would seem to be ti:tlano
and an alternative is ti:tlanoni 'mensajero').

Also ichtecqui "ladrón", which may follow a pattern of wi:tequi.  RS lists
ichtequi as both intransitive and transitive. Note RS's applicative form,
used reflexively as 'convertirse en ladrón'.
There are other verbs that have unusual transitivity patterns, e.g, mati.

best, jonathan