ihcequi doing it's applicative thing

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Nov 2 18:11:32 UTC 2011

Greetings, all.

I was looking at a similar case with my students the day before yesterday,
chica:hua (long vowel courtesy of Frances Karttunen's dictionary), and was
wondering why the intransitive and transitive forms have different preterite
forms (intransitive with the preterite suffix -c, transitive with loss of
final vowel). In effect, the intransitive variant is a class 1 verb, while
the transitive variant is class 2. The following entries are from Molina's
*Vocabulario en lengua mexicana y castellana*. As you can see, chica:hua
follows exactly the same pattern as e:hua and chipa:hua.

"Chicaua. ni. arreziar o tomar fuerças, o hazerse viejo el hombre o la
bestia. pret[érito]. onichicauac.

"Chicaua. nitla. fortalecer o guarnecer algo, y esforçar y animar.
pre[térito]. onitlachicauh.

"Chicaua. nite. esforçar a otro. pr[etérito] onitechicauh."

Best regards,

David