Tunas and purslane

Jonathan Amith jdanahuatl at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 17:54:00 UTC 2011

Hi David,

Yes, Matias Alonso does not mark vowel length, hence my question. It is
actually interestingly organized as a word menu (by semantic field)
although the final aspirations are randomly marked or not marked. I am not
sure that the root in itsmitl (tetsmitl-a:itsmitl) is in any way related to
i:tstli even though Hernandez does relate the semantics of the plant and
blade.

In the Balsa area to:mohtli is the term for the prickly pear fruit and
discussions about whether a given plant is a to:motli is based on whether
it produces this fruit. No:chtli is used only for no:chmahtlapahli, a very
small, low-to-the ground Opuntia that I have not yet had identified (it was
just collected this summer; its fruit is used to color masa when totopoxtli
(sweet, ruffled tortillas) are made for Corpus Christi. I havenºt found
to:mohtli in any other sources to date.

By the way, I have put up a few notes on
http://www.balsas-nahuatl.org/ethnobiology . They are quite random for now.
The chapolin one discusses a general approach.

Jonathan