hua:c

John Sullivan idiez at me.com
Fri Nov 11 16:53:30 UTC 2011

Piyali notequixpoyohuan,
	There’s a morpheme that has been kicking my butt for a long time now, “hua:c”. In Modern Huastecan Nahuatl it only shows up in:
huaczan (huac+zan), “at that moment”
huacoc (huac+oc), “we“ll see if....”
huacca (huac+ya), “then” as in “Then she went to the store.”
	Anyway, today I received a mail from one of the participants in the focus group sessions, a woman from Guerrero. In her mail she used “kwac” for “when, then” which is obviously related to the Classical “ihqua:c”.
	For me, this is one of those “duhh” moments. And Joe, you might want to look at the possibility of removing “ihcua:c” from the basic morpheme list.
John