The verb CEQUI in Karttunen's dictionary

SASAKI Mitsuya hawatari21centuries at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 09:58:22 UTC 2011

Nocnihuane,

Some of you might have noticed that the verb form CEQU(I) "to toast
something" in Karttunen's Analytical Dictionary doesn't have
corresponding entries in Molina's and Siméon's dictionaries.

In fact, Molina and Siméon both have ICEQUI "to toast maize etc.",
probably "i" being an epenthetic vowel preceding a saltillo (IHCEQUI).
Andrews' Introduction (p. 70 in the rev. ed.) and Wimmer's Online
Nahuatl dictionary correctly contain IHCEQUI.

Corresponding to this, you can find "teycequjaia" and "quiceqia" in the
Florentine Codex (Book 3, Ch. 11, p. 31 in Anderson & Dibble ver.), both
with the meaning "to toast (maize)". The "y" in "teycequjaia" can
properly predicted by assuming the form IHCEQUI.

I'm not sure if it's Karttunen's error (I've yet to check her source,
Brewer&Brewer's Tetelcingo Nahuatl dictionary), but I thought I'd post
anyway in case someone gets in trouble while reading Nahuatl texts, for
Karttunen's dictionary doesn't contain IHCEQUI.

Thanks,
Mitsuya SASAKI
The Department of Linguistics, the University of Tokyo
ll116003 at mail.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp