Stripe Eye and Smoke Eye

Frances Karttunen karttu at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 14:29:03 UTC 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 7:32 AM, Michael McCafferty wrote:

> Baert:
>
> huahuanqui  is 'striped'. A noun stem on the front of that term
> usually refers to the how the thing is striped, ezhuahuanqui,
> cozhuahuanqui, etc. *Ixhuahuanqui sounds plausible but it would
> appear that that would mean something that was striped with eyes or
> faces. Interesting art.

I:xhuanhua:nqui would likely mean 'something or someone striped with
respect to the face/eye'.

> poctli is smoke; poctic 'smokey', something that has become like
> smoke.
>
> In ixtli in poctli?

This would be a difrasismo for something, but it would be hard to say
what. in mixtli in po:ctli 'cloud, smoke' is the difrasismo for the
ephemeral nature of fame, repute.

>   In ixtli poctic?

Probably i:xpo:ctic. But that would suggest to me someone with
cataracts, someone who is eye-wise smoky.