PDF Carochi

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Sep 20 13:48:10 UTC 2011

Listeros:

A student of mine just located a good PDF version of the 1892 edition of
Carochi’s Arte de la lengua mexicana on the Internet:

http://www.archive.org/details/artedelalenguame00carouoft

I should add, for anyone new to this game, that Carochi’s grammar is the
most precise and detailed colonial description of central Mexican Náhuatl,
and that it is the foundation for modern scholarship on this variety,
beginning in 1975 with J. Richard Andrews’ Introduction to Classical
Nahuatl.

The most useful version is James Lockhart’s 2001 edition, but this is the
first time I’ve seen Carochi on the web.

Saludos,

David