Carochi 1645

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Sep 27 17:44:36 UTC 2011

Randa:

Thanks, you just made my day!

I just checked them both out and have a few comments:

The first link provides a high resolution color facsimile for viewing on
line and a link to a downloadable black-and-white lower resolution facsimile
in PDF format of the same copy, which has fray Manuel Crisóstomo Nájera's
name on the title page. Here's an article about Nájera, who is considered
one of the early pioneers in modern philology in the mid-nineteenth century:

Cifuentes, Bárbara, “Ascendencia y racionalidad de los pueblos amerindios:
dos propósitos del trabajo filológico de fray Manuel Crisóstomo Náxera
(1803-1853),” in Estudios de Cultura Náhuatl (Instituto de Investigaciones
Históricas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México), vol. 26, 1996, pp.
347-366
(http://www.iih.unam.mx/publicaciones/revistas/nahuatl/pdf/ecn26/498.pdf;
access: September 27, 2011).

The second link is better, because we get a high resolution color PDF file.
It has been on line for less than a month.This one has the signature of
someone named "Andrade" on a blank page at the beginning of the volume.
Perhaps this copy belonged to José María Andrade, ally of Mexican emperor
Maximiliano, a book collector who was forming an imperial library. Andrade's
documental treasures were whisked out of the country when the empire fell
apart, then sold at auction in Leipzig in 1869, with the help of Agustin
Fischer, another ally of Maximilian. I don't have other signatures for
comparison, but this would make sense. On the other hand, the catalogue of
the Andrade sale (sometimes called the "Fischer sale") is available on line
(http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015033675516) and Carochi's
Arte is not listed among the items on native languages for sale.

Saludos,

David