XOLOPIHTLI

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 20 21:52:06 UTC 2012

Quoting Susana Moraleda <susana at losrancheros.org>:

> Piyali,
>
> Help, please! Would really appreciate some feedback on my reasoning
> for the ethymology of this word.
>
> XOLOPIHTLI is "fool"
> it comes from XOLOPIHTI (to joke like a fool)
>
> the passive is XOLOPIHTIHUA?

Susana:

The passive is formed on transitive verb stems. So, this is not possible.

However, you can form what's called a "non-active derivation" that
gives you the notion of "people" or French "On".

I would probably say in this case your form would be xolopihtilo
'people joke around'...unless the glottal stop and the /t/ underwent
assimilation as in mati to macho....***xolopichlo?  No sei pero creio
que no.

> If so, its sustantivo verbal de paciente would be XOLOPIHTITLI

To form a patientive noun, add -tli to the preterit stem. I don't know
the word that well, but I imagine it forms the preterite as
oxolopihtih, so the patientive would be *xolopihtihtli.

> If instead the passive is XOLOPIHTILO
> then we'd have XOLOPIHTILLI
>
> Otherwise using the active voice, preterite tense, we could have
> XOLOPIHTICTLI
>
> So how do we come up with XOLOPIHTLI?
>
> And the adverb would be XOLOPIHTICA (jokingly, foolishly)?

I would guess this would be xolopihtihca.

Michael