XOLOPIHTLI

IDIEZ idiez at me.com
Tue Feb 21 00:28:06 UTC 2012

Piyali notequixpoyohuan,
	First of all, “xolopihtli” is a basic morpheme, so the only thing you could divide it into would be the root, “xolopih-” and the absolutive suffix,
“-tli”.
	“xolopihti”, ”to become stupid” is derived from “xolopihtli”, not the other way around: xolopih- + ti (inceptive verber)
	The past perfect form of “xolopihti” would be “xolopihtica” and that doubles as the adverb, “stupidly”
	The above forms are attested. Theoretically you could also form an impersonal (Michael is right in saying it wouldn’t be a passive form) from “xolopihti”. It would probably be either “xolopihtihua” or “xolopihtilo”, maybe meaning “there are a lot of people making fools out of themselves (in this place or meeting, etc.)”
John

On Feb 20, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Michael McCafferty wrote:

> Quoting Susana Moraleda <susana at losrancheros.org>:
>
>> Piyali,
>>
>> Help, please! Would really appreciate some feedback on my reasoning
>> for the ethymology of this word.
>>
>> XOLOPIHTLI is "fool"
>> it comes from XOLOPIHTI (to joke like a fool)
>>
>> the passive is XOLOPIHTIHUA?
>
> Susana:
>
> The passive is formed on transitive verb stems. So, this is not possible.
>
> However, you can form what's called a "non-active derivation" that
> gives you the notion of "people" or French "On".
>
> I would probably say in this case your form would be xolopihtilo
> 'people joke around'...unless the glottal stop and the /t/ underwent
> assimilation as in mati to macho....***xolopichlo?  No sei pero creio
> que no.
>

>> If so, its sustantivo verbal de paciente would be XOLOPIHTITLI
>
> To form a patientive noun, add -tli to the preterit stem. I don't know the word that well, but I imagine it forms the preterite as oxolopihtih, so the patientive would be *xolopihtihtli.
>

>> If instead the passive is XOLOPIHTILO
>> then we'd have XOLOPIHTILLI
>>
>> Otherwise using the active voice, preterite tense, we could have
>> XOLOPIHTICTLI
>>
>> So how do we come up with XOLOPIHTLI?
>>
>> And the adverb would be XOLOPIHTICA (jokingly, foolishly)?
>

> I would guess this would be xolopihtihca.
>
> Michael
>

>> Am I completely wrong?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Susana

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua Language and Culture
Zacatecas Institute for Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
+52 (492) 925-3425 (office)
+52 1 (492) 103-0195 (mobile)
idiez at me.com