emotions & the senses

Ben Leeming bleeming at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 01:31:06 UTC 2012

Piyali listeros,
I am interested in how Nahuas pre- and post-Contact understood emotions and
the senses.  As I am away from Albany this semester (and therefore the
library!) I haven't been able to search the Florentine - a good place to
start, I imagine.  I also suspect Lopez Austin's "Human Body and Ideology"
might be another place to look.  In particular I am interested in exploring
the ways in which Nahuas conceptualized and made sense of pain and
suffering.  Part of my dissertation research involves looking at the way
these emotions/sensations functioned in descriptions of hell and judgment
in ecclesiastical Nahuatl texts.  Not the world's most uplifting line of
inquiry, I know!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year to all-

Ben

--
Ben Leeming