IXIPTLA

Susana Moraleda susana at losrancheros.org
Tue Jan 24 19:56:32 UTC 2012

Piyali nocnihuan,

An acquaintance of mine, a young Italian girl about to embark in her Ph.D.
(mesoamerican archaeology) at UNAM (she is travelling from Rome to Mexico
City soon), has asked me about the ethimology of IXIPTLA. She says this word
is mentioned in some book (she doesn't recall whether in Sahagun or other),
and related to Xipe Totec.

I read in Molina that XIPEHUA is "descortezar, deshollar" and that is
obviously well related to the nature of Xipe Totec, but I cannot work out
the connection with IXIPTLA. And then I am puzzled about the ending -TLA
(?).

Can anybody enlighten me please?

Thanks in advance,
Susana