Carochi

SASAKI Mitsuya hawatari21centuries at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 23:25:02 UTC 2012

Michael,

I'm not sure if you already know this, but the text in the Buncroft
Dialogues systematically uses grave accents to mark glottal stops.

It's slightly different from Carochi's usage in that the BC consistently
uses a grave accent no matter where it occurs, while Carochi marks a
sentence-final saltillo by a circumflex.

Probably it was a post-Carochi Jesuit tradition to mark saltillos in
this way, but unfortunately I don't know any other sources which adopt
this system.

---
Mitsuya Sasaki
Department of Linguistics,