Carochi and Ruiz de Alarc ón

Gordon Whittaker gwhitta4 at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 22:18:25 UTC 2012

Hi  Michael,

One of the scribes of the Ruiz de Alarcón manuscript used the system championed by Rincón and especially by Carochi, in which glottal stops are indicated. You will find all the details in the Coe and Whittaker edition, in which I went to pains to reconstruct the orthographical and language habits of the individual scribes. Incidentally, for the record, the edition originally submitted around the same time by Andrews and Hassig failed to include any such observations, since they had not at the time seen, let alone worked from, the original R de A manuscript. After being alerted to our study of the original, which we published shortly afterwards (a couple of years before their edition appeared), they added the information that we had already covered -- but maintained a curious silence on this fact. Indeed, their published edition fails to make any reference at all to our volume, even in their bibliography, although they were well acquainted with our work. Somewhat dismaying, because I would have expected more from a distinguished colleague like Andrews.

Best wishes,
Gordon