i:xmoyo:n- vs. i:xyomo:n-

Gordon Whittaker gwhitta4 at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 19:21:05 UTC 2012

Dear Jonathan,

This is very encouraging! Now we would appear to have the missing piece in the puzzle regarding moyo:ni and yomo:ni. The former is widespread, the latter restricted as a variant to the Valley of Mexico. The fact that the compound with i:x- is also attested for both, and in each case describing facial movement, underscores the likelihood that the two verbs are related, and that the forms with yom- are secondary. Thanks a lot for this very helpful material.

Best wishes,
Gordon

Sent from my iPad