More things to consider

IDIEZ idiez at me.com
Wed Mar 7 18:18:00 UTC 2012

Consider these examples, in which final morphemes are deleted in the process of converting a verb to a noun, and how parallel options are used to provide shades of meaning:
1. cuelpachoa, nic, "to fold s.t." > tlacuelpachtli, "a cuff" vs tlacuelpacholli, "folded clothing."
2. payania, nic, "to crumble s.t." > cintli tlapayantli, "corn pieces" vs "cintli tlapayanilli", "crumbled corn."
3. tentia, nic, "to sharpen s.t." > tlatentli, "cochiyoh tlatentli", "a sharp knife," vs. "cochiyoh tlatentilli", "a sharpened knife."
4. pahtia, nic. "to fertilize or apply herbicide to a plant." > "toctli tlapahtli", "a fertilized corn plant," "toctli tlapahtilli," "a corn plant that has been fertilized."
	On the one hand we have objects that have undergone a completed action, and on the other hand we have words that emphasize more the process which the objects have undergone. Then there that little detail of the morpheme deletion.
	The reason I'm starting to notice these, and many, many more examples, is that we are working a lot on words in our dictionary that begin with "tla-".
John