itlatla

Tomas Amando Amaya Aquino t_amaya at megared.net.mx
Sun Nov 25 02:59:38 UTC 2012

Mah xiyolpacto, John

The word used in Cuetzalan is *tatai (tlatlai*). It means "similar to" (in
Spanish: "parecido a"). E.g.: *Yn Xiuan nel in itatai ýn notatzin -->* Juan
de veras se parece a mi papá / John is really similar to my father. Other
example:* Nipitzotic ýn neh, nitahuanque ýn neh, nitatziuh ýn neh, huan yn
notelpoch Tomas yoolic huan yoolic mochihua notatai, huan ahmo
ýn nic-huelitta* --> I am ugly, a drunkard, a lazy one and I see that
Thomas, my son, little by little becomes like me and I do not like it.
Another example:* Yn ilhuicahtahtocayot yeh in itatai ýn cé-in
mostaza-xinachti ce tacat quicuic huan quitoocac ýn italpan*. Translation:
 "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a man took and planted
in his field" (Matthew 13:31, Bible, International Standard Version, 2008).
The similarity is not only related to the aspect, but rather to the "being"
(*iyeliz*) of the thing/person, hence the example of the Bible.
If you want to underline the aspect of the thing/person you have to use
ixihcui (ixyuhqui in NC) when the resemblance is related to the face, and *
ihcui* (yuhqui NC) if the resemblance relates to the whole
body, (external) aspect.
E.g.
1) *Yn noconetzin Uliel, noixihcui* --> Uriel, my son, looks like me (in
relation to our faces)
2) Y*n "Monna Lisa nel in iihcui ýn Tonantzin Conchita*  --> The Monna Lisa
looks like the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception (named Conchita in
Cuetzalan).
NImitzyoltapalohua
Tomas Amaya