Another haplology?

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Thu Apr 25 04:42:45 UTC 2013

Nocnihuan,

   On page 44 of volume 8 of Dibble and Anderson's edition of the
Florentine Codex, the word "calpixcalli" appears.  The elements are
obvious, but as I looked at the word, I realized that it was impossible
-- it was not morphologically well-formed.  And then the light went on.
  I had just found another haplology!!
The two components "calpixca-" and "-calli" contained a sequence of two
identical syllables, "ca" and "ca", the loss of one them yielding
"calpixcalli"!

   Of course, the always necessary step is to compare Dibble and Anderson's
text with the facsimile edition, which I then did.

   The facsimile has "calpixcacalli".  So instead of finding one more
example of haplology, I had found a rare event -- an example of an
error in the Dibble and Anderson text.  But their batting average is
still far beyond what is reasonable to expect.

> 8-(

Joe