Aztec aesthetics

WILLIAM wilcox wswilcox at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 21:01:23 UTC 2013

No doubt much of the best of 'Aztec' art has been lost or ruined in the
course of time, and it's impossible to judge properly from what we have
left. We know that a great deal of the art was ephemeral: created from
feathers and flowers, painted tree-bark and other perishable materials, and
we may never know exactly its merits.
However if we look at the undeniable beauty, depth and subtlety of Nahua
poetry, the culture clearly had a great appreciation for the arts, and
judging from this alone there is much yet to be learned.