ozcoa, ozcohua, izcoa, izcohua

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 10 02:58:19 UTC 2013

Hi, John,

The existence of the -ohua form would suggest, it seems, that the -oa
form is an orthographic reduction.

As for whether this is ozcohua or [i]zcohua, I wonder if the evidence
lies in  items 3 and 4 that Joe sent earlier today:

ne[o]zcolo

nee[o]zcolo

An initial i- giving hypothetical *[i]zcohua would disappear under the
influence of ne-, as we see for example in nehmatiliz.

I can't think of an example where ne- precedes a word with initial o-,
but it seems to me that both vowels would remain. In the examples above
the word is not *nozcolo. It seems that the verb in question could be
[i]zcohua.

Then again, we have some snow fog tonight, so that might be getting in
my way to understanding.

Michael

Quoting John Sullivan <idiez at me.com>: of