Molina's Lost Soul.....

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Dec 7 18:26:00 UTC 2013

Dear Mr. Tezozomoc:

Alfredo López Austin wrote a pioneering study on what he called the
"entidades anímicas" (partially avoiding words like "alma" and "ánima,"
although the ghost of the latter word haunts his adjective) in early
colonial period sources in Náhuatl, as part of his classic work on the human
body and ideology among the ancient Nahua:

LÓPEZ AUSTIN, Alfredo
1989	Cuerpo humano e ideología, las concepciones de los antiguos nahuas,
3a. ed., 2 vols., México, Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas,
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.

This was the inspiration for Furst's work, mentioned by Fritz Schwaller in a
recent post:

FURST, Jill Leslie McKeever
1995	The natural history of the soul in ancient Mexico, New
Haven/Londres, Yale University Press.

Both studies highlight the naturalistic vision of humanity, even in areas as
intangible as this, which bears enough of a resemblance to the Christian
concept of the "soul" for the early friars (and modern missionary linguists)
to relate them in their dictionaries. A big difference is that the ancient
Mesoamerican "souls," in general, dissipated after four years, while the
Christian souls were eternal.

Molina gives three apparent synonyms: teyolia, teyolitia and toyolia. The
second looks like a causative verb with an indefinite human object prefix,
te:yo:litia (te:- + yo:li + tia: [a: > a]), which Molina registers as
"Yolitia. nite. dar vida a otro. pr. oniteyoliti."

I see teyolia as an analogous construction, with the causative suffix -a:
instead of the causative suffix -tia:. Thus we would have the indefinite
human object prefix te:-, the verb yo:li, "live," and the causative suffix
-a: (shortening to -a due to word-final position): te:yo:lia (te:- + yo:li +
a: [a: > a]), "he/she/it makes someone live," a verbal sentence used (or
translated by Molina) with a nominal sense. I don't see the intransitive
nature of yo:li as a problem, since the causative form yo:lia: (unattested
in Molina, but analogous to the transitive verb yo:litia:), like all
causative verbs, is necessarily transitive. There are other verbs that can
take more than one causative suffix, so this would not be unusual.

Toyolia looks to me like the causative verb yo:lia: reinterpreted as a noun,
with the first person plural possessive prefix to-: toyo:lia, which can be
loosely translated as "the source of our life."

Siméon's analysis of teyolia and teyolitia as nouns, assuming the existence
of unattested absolutive forms yoliatl and yolitiatl, seems somewhat
reasonable, since the suffix te:- is used as a generic possessive prefix,
but the probable existence of the forms teyolia and teyolitia as causative
verb sentences suggests a verbal origin of both words.

According to López Austin there are two other "entidades anímicas": to:nalli
(related to solar energy and destiny) and ihi:yo:tl (the breath of life).

The same three entities may be found in colonial and modern sources on the
Otomí, who also participated (fully) in the multilingual culture of central
Mexico. It is possible to establish the following correspondences:

te:yo:lia/te:yo:litia/toyo:lia <-> mui/’mui/’bui/mbui

to:nalli <-> nzaki/zaki

ihi:yo:tl <-> ndähi/te

I won't go into the Otomí words here, but I will mention that they are
semantically close to the corresponding Náhuatl terms, and have to do with
heart/stomach/life, energy/vigor, and breath/vitality, respectively.

Saludos desde Guanajuato,

David Wright