When there is a Y and when there isn't

Susana Moraleda susana at losrancheros.org
Mon Feb 11 18:13:22 UTC 2013

Sí. Todo está muy bien, pero...
Should one "complain" about people writing/pronouncing PIA and CHIA and
telling them that in reality, in good classical Nahuatl, these words are
PIYA and CHIYA? - What are we supposed to use as a valid argument? How
are we so certain that they are so? -- I tend to make reference to the
way in which their preterites are formed, i.e. OPIX and OCHIX versus
OPIH and OCHIH -- In other words, how do we know (or how can we
demonstrate) that these words in reality bear a Y??

No sé si me explico.
Susana

P.S. Joe, when you talk about "silla" you mention "in most other
dialects".... but as far as I know, there are no "dialects" deriving
from the Spanish language!