Fwd: Nahuatl word classes

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Thu Jan 3 04:53:40 UTC 2013

It is only misleading if you assume that formal properties are always
consistent indicators of usage. But that isn't the case. There are
always irregularities in language usage that are not predictable based
merely on formal criteria. So you always have to explain the
peculiarities of usage in all languages. And based on the examples you
gave, it didn't sound like "kwalli" was used in a way that is exactly
the same as property words like chichiltic, iztac, etc. Do these other
property words take the -tin ending in agreement with the nouns that
they describe? I would also say that in Classical Nahuatl, at least, I'm
pretty sure that you do actually find "ipan cualli" meaning "in
goodness." And "cualli" appears as an imbedded noun in verbs such as
"ninocualtoca" [I consider myself good]. But even if this is not the
case in a particular dialect of Nahuatl, what you claim are differences
in the properties of "kwalli" in relation to other nouns is explainable
as a difference in usage rather than a real difference in properties. It
seems to me that this is a valid distinction to make. For example, even
in English, some nouns don't take plural endings. And "kwalli" is a good
example. We wouldn't say "goodnesses" either, but that doesn't mean that
"goodness" is not a noun. Based merely on formal rules, you can produce
"goodnesses," and it is clear what is being done. But it doesn't make
any sense in our culturally determined conceptual paradigm, so we don't
produce that form. So, again, the fact that a word doesn't exhibit all
of the same behaviors as other words of the same class doesn't really
justify creating a new class for it or putting it in a different class.
So for that reason, the argument that "kwalli" is a stative rather than
a noun based on formal properties doesn't make sense to me. Even if you
give weight to the fact that in Hueyapan Nahuatl, "kwalli" does not
exhibit all of the properties evident in other nouns, you would still
have to demonstrate that it exhibits formal properties of some other
class that other nouns do not.
The classification of "kwalli" as a stative is not based solely on the
formal argument. It also has to be based on the semantic determination
that it conveys a stative meaning. And your stative category is based on
semantics rather than form. "kwalli" is certainly stative insofar as it
refers to a persistent condition, but all nouns do that. There is
certainly a qualitative distinction that can be drawn between the
condition of being "kwalli" and the condition of being "tlakatl," but
I'm not sure that this is necessarily a universal difference (i.e., that
speakers of all languages would necessarily conceptualize "kwalli" and
"tlakatl" as qualitatively different) or that it is all that significant
for the determination of formal word classes.
It may be true that the "stative" is a useful and necessary word class
in Nahuatl. I don't know. I'm only commenting on "kwalli," and I'm not
convinced that "kwalli" justifies such a word class for the reasons that
I've explained. And what you are saying doesn't respond to those
reasons. It sounds like you want the syntactical categories to do all
the work of accounting for usage. But in order to do that, you have to
abandon formal criteria in favor of semantic criteria. And I don't see
the advantage or the logic in doing that. To me it would make more sense
to use "stative" as a sub-class rather than a class of its own. Thus you
could have stative verbs like "chichiltic" and perhaps stative nouns
like "kwalli." That way you wouldn't have to abandon formal criteria for
determining the larger word classes. And the semantics of the word,
cultural logic, conventions of usage, and so forth would account for the
variations and anomalies in usage. Yes, that would have to be explained,
but it has to be explained anyway.