Nahuatl word classes

John Sullivan idiez at me.com
Fri Jan 4 19:36:22 UTC 2013

Piyali listeros,
	I'm a little confused with how the word stative is used (in linguistics?). Would all of these words be considered stative?
1. Cuaciyah tlachihchihualli. "It's a hand-made chair". Tlachihchihualli is a noun formed from the passive form of a verb, and refers to the result of an action.
2. Cuaciyah chichiltic. "It's a red chair". Chichiltic literally means "it has become a very red chilli". This seems to me to be the relationship of a metaphor, in other words, chair is identified with a chilli, it is not in a certain state.
3. Eliazar ihcatoc. "Eliazar is standing". Ihcatoc is literally "he stands up and has rested in that state."
4. Eliazar mocehuihtoc. "Eliazar is seated." Mocehuihtoc is literally "He sits down and has rested in that state."
John