xitomatl

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Jul 23 19:08:24 UTC 2013

Quoting Susana Moraleda <susana at losrancheros.org>:

> Niltze nocniuhhuan,
> I would like to understand, once and for all, the real ethymology of
> the word XITOMATL. I've searched and searched, and found many
> different (and often absurd) sources, but three are the ones that are
> almost omnipresent.
>
> XICTLI, navel
> XITOMA, peel off
> TOMAHUAC, fat

This is a good question, Susana.

xi:ctli is not the source, as we'd have xi:ctomatl instead xi:tomatl.

Someone once told me that 'tomatl' came from toma:hua 'swell', but I
don't think so.

It seems the origin is the "peel" idea, and that there is a morpheme
with two allomorphs, xi:p- and xi:-, and they refer to peeling. The
toma is toma/tomi 'for something to loosen up'. Sounds like people
skinned these colorful xi:tomatl.