xitomatl

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jul 24 15:26:12 UTC 2013

Listeros:

I looked hard for cases of assimilation /w/ + /t/ > /t/, to no avail. I
found several involving /w/ (see below), but none with /w/ + /t/. That seems
to weaken the /šiwitl/ hypothesis. There may be a problem with vowel length
(/i/ versus /i:/) as well, if /xi:tomatl/ does indeed have a long /i:/, as
Karttunen reconstructs it in her dictionary.

/w/ + /m/ > /mm/

/w/ + /p/ > /pp/

/tl/ + /w/ > /lw/

/ts/ + /w/ > / ts /

I couldn't find any cases of /k/ + /t/ > /t/ either, so that seems to put
the /ši:ktli/ hypothesis on shaky ground also. For years I thought this was
the etymology, but had never really thought about it critically.

I hope all these characters survive the trip through cyberspace.

Saludos,

David Wright