xitomatl

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Jul 24 15:37:09 UTC 2013

But back to my original question, John. How do you get tomatl from
tomahua? I don't understand that change. I can see how tomatl could
come from toma.

I found my copy of Karttunen's dictionary a little while ago and it
appears that she supports my take on the etymology of the term
xitomatl. Check out pages 326. Also, I just noticed that she has
tomahu(i) with a citation.

Michael