stuck on a phrase

Ben Leeming bleeming at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 16:51:21 UTC 2013

Hi Michael -

Yes, I also suspect "tletl" as the source of "itleyo" and "itlan" seems
obvious.  What I'm getting hung up on is their use together in this
particular case.  Maybe it's because I have been so immersed in Nahuatl
poetics that I am seeing couplets, parallelism, and difrasismos everywhere!

This is what I've got right now for "cenca yyac in tlequiquiztli: ytleyo
ytlan quintlayhiyohuiltizque":

"the brimstone (sulfur, etc.) is very foul-smelling, [the demons] afflict
them with its fireyness(?)"  (I know "tlequiquiztli" is technically
"firearm", but elsewhere in this section we see "tlequiquiztlalli" which, I
suspect, is intended here...I could be mistaken, though... I kind of like
the image of gun-toting demons!!)

I just don't really know what to make of the "itlan" following on the heels
of the "itleyo."

Anyway, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I'm copying the list
to see if we can get any additional thoughts.

Ben

--
Ben Leeming
PhD Student