Moctezuma and Chimalmah

Leeming, Ben b.leeming at rivers.org
Fri Jun 28 22:59:29 UTC 2013

Dear Baert,

Can you explain how you justify the spelling "Moctezuma"?  In my mind there is only one correct spelling of the word: the Nahuatl spelling - rather than an English spelling, a Spanish spelling, etc.  From the point of view of Nahuatl morphology, I don't see how "Moctezuma" is feasible.

As for your citation of "Chimalmatl", do you mean "Chimalmaitl"?  That would make sense. Can you tell me what SGA II, 1020 is?  I'd like to track this down.

Thank you,

Ben