name for a lime kiln

Tomas Amando Amaya Aquino t_amaya at megared.net.mx
Sun Mar 17 18:52:49 UTC 2013

Hi Tom and friends
Maybe they use the word xiuhti (nahuat) or xiuhtli (nahuatl) for "grass";
then it is easy to conclude that the “ti” (or “tli”) of the ending becomes
“li” in a composition where one T  not so far from another T: xiuhti
itempan => xiuhtitempan => xiuhl-litempa’ => xiuhlitempa / xiuhtli itempan
=> xiuhtlitempan => xiuhl-litempa’ => xiuhlitempa .

Basically, the t of the nahuat-speaking people is linguopalatal and not
dental as in Spanish. Therefore it is easy to understand a change from t to
l (in the case of the first t). Of course it also applies to “tl” if you
pronounce “xiuhtli”.

Ximoyecpia (take care)

Tomas Amaya