Help with the Florentine Codex

Tomas Amando Amaya Aquino t_amaya at megared.net.mx
Fri Mar 22 08:01:32 UTC 2013

Ahmo ximotequipacho Joeltziné

I would write the text this way:

“(yn yehuantin yn) aic omaltíqueh, quin nochih ihcuac momaltíah,
mo(a)mohuíah”

In Spanish: en cuanto a los que nunca se han bañado, es entonces cuando se
bañan y lavan la cabeza (con amolli).

In English: as for the ones who never have bathed, it was at this moment
when they  bath and wash their head themselves (by applying amolli
thereon).

I think it is the real meaning of the text. We understand it so (at home we
use to talk in nahuat (Cuetzalan)).

Another example, (also a joke):

Yn yehuat yn Joeltzin motequipachohua, patioh in gazolina, ahuel quicui in
itepoz. Axcan ihtacahuic yn itepoz. Ahoc molinia.

Quin yehuat yn temachtihqui Joel moquetza, mocuahuahuana, ihcuac in
moilhuía: aocmo  nitepozcuiz. Ninehnemiz, nochipa ninehnemiz. Huan pehua
nehnemi, yn iitzcuin yn mococohuaya, pahtoc-ya paccayauh ihuan.

Mr. Joel is worry because the gasoline is very expensive. He cannot use his
car. Now his car is broken. It does not work any more. At this moment the
teacher Joel stands up, scratches his head, then says to himself: I won’t
use a car any more. I will walk. And he begins to walk; his dog, who was
sick, already healthy go with him very happy.

Niamechyoltapalohua

Tomas Amaya