Nahuatl words I could use...

Phil Dickinson phil.dkson at gmail.com
Tue May 7 20:32:32 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

I posted this earlier on the aztlan mailing lists so apologies to those of
you who think you are seeing double!

1) 'trecena' is a word used to describe a period of 13 days in the ritual
calendar. It's derivation is Spanish and I don't want to use it. Never mind
the whys and the wherefores. Does anyone know of a nahuatl word remaining
in existence that describes this? Would calendar enthusiasts please assume
that a) I know how the calendars work b) I don't know and don't care or c)
I don't know but intend to ask or find out later on.

2) 'volador' is a ceremony that originated with the Huastec (thanks John
for pointing this out) in the Veracruz area. It's likely that the Mexica
merchants and later warriors came across this ceremony as they conquered
those coastal areas. Does anyone know if they used the Huastec word or
translated or made up something new and befitting in nahuatl? If so, what
was it? If you don't know, but can think of how the nahuatl speakers who
first saw it might have named it, that will do me.

Many thanks to you all,
Philip Dickinson