tla- huan tla- (huan te-)

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 11:18:17 UTC 2013

Dear John,

A Uto-Aztecan perspective could be useful here. Langacker (1977:46)
reconstructs the prefixes*ta-- ‘unspecified subject’ and *tI- --
‘unspecified object’, and it could be interesting to have a look in the
rest of the family to see what the syntactic functions of the cognates of
tla- < *ta- are (I understand that there is room for improvement in these
reconstructions).
I have an article on the grammaticalization of antipassive which was just
published, where I briefly mention Nahuatl tla- as an example of non-human
antipassive (p20):

https://www.academia.edu/4483958/Denominal_affixes_as_sources_of_antipassive_markers_in_Japhug_Rgyalrong

Best regards,

Guillaume

Langacker, R.W.,1977. An overview of Uto-Aztecan grammar:Studies in
Uto-Aztecan grammar. Summer Institute of Linguistics and the University of
Texas at Arlington,Dallas.

Guillaume Jacques
CNRS (CRLAO) - INALCO
http://cnrs.academia.edu/GuillaumeJacques