Fw: Totlahtol

BT Yahoo! a.appleyard at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 2 05:33:23 UTC 2013

Michael Swanton wrote:-
> The "Carochi orthography" was the most sophisticated orthography used during the colonial period.
> We owe a great deal of our understanding of "Classical Nahuatl" to it. I find McCafferty's comments about it having "little value" to be utterly baffling.

An inconvenience with Spanish-influenced classical Nahuatl spelling is that how to spell the sounds [k] and [s] changes if they are followed by [i] or [e] or [y]. That is a carry-over from phonetic changes that happened to the sounds [k] and [g] and [kw] in Europe in Classical Latin as it changed into Vulgar Latin and then into early Spanish (and Italian and French etc); those sound changes did not happen in Nahuatl.

Citlalyani.