Fw: Totlahtol

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Sep 2 14:59:15 UTC 2013

Carochi has served very well. No question. However, as far I as I can
tell, only Carochi and Launey use Carochi's orthographic system. If you
look around, that orthography is not where the modern study of the
language is going. That's what I meant by my "utterly baffling" thought.

I explained also in a letter to Mr. Guillaume that some rather
"baffling" ideas about Nahuatl grammar are found in Launey, and I'm
confident I didn't find all of the mistakes. In the end, I would
recommend having a copy of Launey on your shelf, but not as the sole
source of your Nahuatl knowledge, and certainly not as a book used in a
classroom unless the professor is knowledgeable enough to 1) catch
Launey's errors and 2) bring enormous amounts of material written in
the non-Carochi orthographic system so that students can be in the flow
of modern study.

Best,

Michael