campotic, campohtic

Tomas Amaya t.amaya at eninfinitum.com
Fri Apr 25 12:38:07 UTC 2014

John, tocnihuan listeros,

Based upon the nahuat spoken in the region of Cuetzalan:
The meaning  of “Potic” is near to bulky, inflated; remember “chiipotic” (in Mexican Spanish, the very well known “chipote”).
We also have the word “nimotempotia”: I stuff my mouth with something (food, a donut).
In the case of “chiipotic”, the prefix “chii” is used sometimes for adjectives in order to affirm their meaning. Examples: “chiicoltic”, “chiichiltic”, “chiimecouh”.
According to this, canpotic/campotic means (Nahuat) “with inflated cheeks”. In La Malinche we have “camapopotic”, with the same meaning.
The particle “po” is well understood in Cuetzalan-Nahuat: “mohuampohuan” is something like: “the ones like you who live with you”. Forms like “tinopo”, “nocihuapo”, “tinocihuapo” are very rarely used but understood. This particle is pronounced “poih” (approximately).
This last pronunciation makes me also go far away trying to help you: this poih may be (and I say “may be”) related to the verb pohui (the idea of belonging to).
We have in Cuetzalan-Nahuat forms like “teh tinopouhca”: “you are the reason of my being (well) related to the things / you are the reason of my being alive (in good existence/strong enough/in equilibrium)”.
In relation to Launey’s three examples (in “Third”): the two last ones are well understood, with practically the same meaning. For the first one we have: “tiihtacahti(ti)yaz”, i.e. you will go taking your food (for your journey). It is said to the one who is about to die (“ahmo ximotequipacho: yancuic in motaquen yezqui, chipahuac in motilmah, cuicuiltic in mopetauh; tiihtacahtitiyaz”).
Two last comments:
Ayo may mean “fluid”, e.g. Cihuatl ichchihualayouh (woman’s breast milk); it may mean juicy: ayo in xocot (orange is juicy); but, also, we can say:  yn tazal, ayo (the clothing is all wet).
For the one who possesses water we say: “aathua” and, preferably, “aayeh”.

Namechyoltapalohua

Tomas Amaya