Cholula Nahuatl class and encounter

Norbert Francis Norbert.Francis at nau.edu
Fri Jan 17 17:06:21 UTC 2014

Yes indeed, this report by John is very interesting. In our work in Puebla and Tlaxcala we've conducted assessments of this kind of ability (reading and writing of Nahuatl texts by children who learned literacy via Spanish only) with similar results. This is the first example that I know of where bilinguals (with similar literacy learning background) have demonstrated proficiency with a 16th C. text. The implications of this experiment by our colleagues are far-reaching and important. I don't have to say what these are, in the recovery and preservation of Nahuatl-language texts and oral tradition to mention just one example. We'll be looking forward to future reports.
Thanks for posting this news.
Norbert