The meaning of "Tollan"

Jonathan Amith jdanahuatl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 13:26:32 UTC 2014

Hi Julian,

Actually, in the Balsas Valley of central Mexico to:hlan (the equivalent of
the form you cite) has the same meaning as 'a large crowd of people'. For
example, in talking about a fiesta in the center of town one may simply
say: to:hlan 'there are a lot of people'. It can be an intransitive verb:
o:pe:w (from pe:wa, 'to begin') to:hlanti (i.e., 'a large crowd has begun
to gather'). Finallly, there is a transitive verb, often used with the
nonreferential marker tla- that means 'to stimulate the formation of a
large group of people'. I have heard it used in reference to someone who
has a TV that they place near the entranceway/door to their house and put
on a movie: Tlato:hlantilia Juan, mohmo:stla kite:pano:ltilia cine"  (Juan
attracts a large crowd [to his house], every day he shows a movie'.

I hadn't known that this use of to:hlan exists elsewhere, nice to see that
it is found in Cuentepec.

Best, Jonathan