Botanist reads Nahuatl plant names in Voynich Manuscript

jdcomegys at cvip.net jdcomegys at cvip.net
Sun Jan 26 17:08:10 UTC 2014

Arthur O. Tucker, PhD, and Rexford H. Talbert
published an article in the peer reviewed American
Botanical Council journal HerbalGram entitled
A Preliminary Analysis of the Botany, Zoology, and
Mineralogy of the Voynich Manuscript.

The press release is here. Read more:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1689897#ixzz2rWWgzjAi

A pdf of the article with the paleography used is
here.
http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/issue100/HG100-voynich-online.pdf

Potentially this a huge discovery for Nahuatlatos ,
mesoamericanists and medicine in general.
While I generally concur with the provenance and
dating, I certainly hope his botany is better than
his paleography!
He cites as the source of the Voynich letters the
Codex Osuna (only), misidentifies at least one
grapheme, and fails to use the scholarly
transcriptions by recognized experts such as Luis
Chavez Orozco.

If anyone would like to compare the Voynich
Manuscript letters to known identified letters from
16th century codices I will provide a list with their
sources and how they were transcribed by recognized
scholars. If it does not make immediate sense to you
please let me know, perhaps I can provide another
perspective that might help, and some of the ideas I
have developed over the past decade or more on how to
actually read it.

Professor Tucker writes that "Unless financing can be
procured for a large scale project with leading
scholars in botany, linguistics, and anthropology
decades  of research remain".

As I say, let me know if anyone wants to try to read
the Voynich Manuscript.

Cheers,

John Comegys

PS I can also show how at least one pair of
'meaningful words' identified in the Voynich
Manuscript  by Montemurro and Zanette are related
because they are the identical word with an
orthographical variation.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0066344