ome tlahtlaniliztli

John Sullivan idiez at me.com
Sat Jul 5 23:12:56 UTC 2014

Notlazohtequixpoyohuan,
	I have two questions, and I suspect I may have already asked one of them.
1. There seem to be two “nel-“ roots: one which produces nelli, “truth” and all of its derivatives; and another which produces neloa, "to mix s.t." and maneltic, “for grains, fruits or vegetables that one buys to be of mixed quality (small and large together, fresh and spoiled together, etc.). Are these indeed two separate roots?
2. Words having to do with coldness, seem to have two roots. Cetl, with a short e means “ice”, but it initial derivative forms cece:ya, “to become cold” and ce:hui, “to become cold or extinguished”, have a long e. But cecec, “cold” which would seem to be the preterite agentive of cecēya, has a short e. What is going on?
John