Standardization of Nahuatl

Edward Polanco e.a.polanco at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:39:58 UTC 2014

Hello Juan,

I agree with your discomfort regarding the Church's attempt to create a
standardized Nahuatl. However, I am uncomfortable privlageing the Nahuatl
spoken in Tenochtitlan. For two reasons. 1) there is evidence of variations
of Nahuatl spoken in the early colonial period, suggesting variation
pre-contact. 2) Like any language, Nahuatl has evolved over the last 495
years, and it would be unfair to conceptualize Nahuatl from the valley as
the "original"  or more correct variant of Nahuatl.

I think consulting scholars would be fantastic, but consulting macehualmeh
would be even better. That would make any translation less problematic,
although it would be far from perfect.

Regards,
Edward